Thursday, November 30, 2006

Pizzodyssey #3

Point of origin: Scoozi, Rundle Street
Topping: vegetarian (char-grilled mushrooms, eggplant, roasted capsicum, artichokes, diced fresh tomato and basil, plus bocconcini as an extra)

Pizzoddyssey looked like languishing for a while. I even had pizza and couldn’t be bothered reviewing it because it was it was so boring. There really wasn’t much to say about it, except that it was too salty. If pizzas were shops, this one would have been Harvey Norman. Yawn.

Finally, though, I’ve had Good Pizza. Woot! Angels sing, sun shines down from heaven, etc., etc. My Scoozi vegetarian was fresh out of their wood oven and had a perfect base. It was crisp and thin and had just the right amount of brown. The topping was spread out to the edges, leaving exactly enough crust as a handle. The tomato sauce base was good, too – not too sweet, not too acidic and a goodly lump of garlic.

As for the toppings, often if you want eggplant on pizza, it's salty. I know this, but I’m devoted to eggplant, so I’m always optimistic (with pizza, if nothing else) and continue to order it. It’s a relatively simple concept, but so few people seem to understand the need to rinse off the damned salt. Thank Ford, Scoozi understands.

The roasted capsicum was sweet, the bocconcini was mild and creamy and the whole thing had been sprinkled with fresh, shredded basil after it came out of the oven. But the real highlight of this pizza was its mushrooms. After salty eggplant, my pet pizza hate is lousy mushrooms, especially the canned variety. Scoozi used whole button mushrooms that had been marinated in something tasty before being char-grilled. I couldn’t finish the pizza, but I did pick off all the mushrooms. In fact, I probably would have been happy with an all-mushroom pizza.

Rating: 4 and a half stars.

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 12:42 pm, December 01, 2006, Blogger Scorpy said...

MMMmmmm Mushrooms....I love 'em. I buy fresh ones every week and cook them in butter and a dribble of Olive oil. MMMmmmmm Mushrooms :)

 
At 3:48 pm, December 01, 2006, Blogger MadameBoffin said...

*drooool, gurgle*

I've just stuffed myself for lunch but now I'm craving pizza curse you! :)

It looks and sounds divine. I've never eaten artichoke before though - what does it taste like?

 
At 3:57 pm, December 01, 2006, Blogger redcap said...

Scorpy, try threading mushrooms on satay sticks, marinating them in teriyaki sauce and throwing them on the barbecue. If you want to look really clever, you can sprinkle sesame seeds on top.

Boff, sorry! They're hard to describe. It's not a strong flavour, but they don't really taste like anything else that I can think of. They only use the artichoke hearts on pizza and they're often marinated in olive oil and herbs.

 
At 4:09 pm, December 01, 2006, Blogger Ariel said...

I feel homesick ...

Scoozi's pizza is one of the things I miss about Adelaide and semi-regularly treat myself to on visits 'home'.

My fave is the chargrilled chicken with capsicum. Don't usually like meat on pizzas (the meat is usually dodgy), but this is GOOD. Try it sometime.

My other Adelaide treat is gelati from Alfrescos.

 
At 4:13 pm, December 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ultimate Adelaide pizza is Goodlife. I hear that the mushroom one is awesome.

And the death by chocolate dessert truly makes your little journey up Hutt St or down to the Bay worthwhile.

 
At 3:56 am, December 02, 2006, Blogger PetStarr said...

Ah - looks like we have another convert to the Scoozi pizza. The great t hing about Scoozi on Rundle is that it looks like the kind of generic eye-talian place you wouldn't even bother going into, let alone consider ordering a pizza in. And yet - damn, they know how to cook a disc. I also highly recommend the prosciutto schiacciata - utterly divine.

 
At 1:19 pm, December 02, 2006, Blogger Javatari said...

Mmmmm, pizza. Not as good as the tangine of beef and prunes with spinach couscous that I'm eating for lunch now.

 
At 1:33 pm, December 02, 2006, Blogger redcap said...

Ariel, Alfresco gelati always makes me think of uni, because we practically lived there.

Missb, I've been planning a visit there, but haven't got to it yet.

Pet, you're right. I'm well and truly converted :) Though Manto might still win out in a pizza-to-pizza battle.

Javatari, tagine and couscous sounds divine, but prunes?! Holy God! Of course, prunes do have their uses. I hear they are a great addition to compost ;)

 
At 2:40 pm, December 05, 2006, Blogger Food Kitty said...

What?? Not only life in Rundle Street, but good food as well. Might have to put Adelaide back on the "to do" list....

 
At 9:46 pm, December 05, 2006, Blogger redcap said...

Foodkitty, there are many fine eaty comestibles to be had in the City of Serial Killers :)

 
At 10:48 pm, December 05, 2006, Blogger audrey said...

Did I not tell you Scoozi pizza was da bomb? Next time though, get the dish of garlic in oil and smother it all over it. Gold. Rolled gold.

 
At 3:45 pm, December 06, 2006, Blogger redcap said...

Audrey, you did indeed! You are truly a chick who knows her pizza. Mmm, garlic...

 
At 6:49 pm, December 06, 2006, Blogger Doll Face said...

oh yummo!

I want now!

7.20pm and still at the office, waiting on presentation to STOP printing..

I'm hungry..

Order in maybe?

 
At 11:27 am, December 10, 2006, Blogger barilski said...

I have to say that's a tasty looking pizza pie but my money is still on Vesuvio's at Glynde. Any place that compels you to order 47sq m of pizza must be doing something right. See below.

http://hopesofanation.blogspot.com/2006/06/so-hungry-i-could-eat-small-country.html

 
At 11:25 pm, September 05, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sooo miss Adelaide PIZZA!!
Melbourne Pizza is crap!! What is with cheap shreaded ham in Melb?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home